Strangers Orchestra | Project by
Simone van den Broek, Jihyun Lee, Junseok Jang, Seonghyeon Yong
In Seoul, the capital city of South-Korea people are always busy and on their way. People are so focused on their own tasks and goals that they feel excluded from others. They feel lonely but don’t have the courage to go talk to strangers and make new friends. Strangers Orchestra is an interactive installation that encourages strangers to sit and relax together. Strangers Orchestra uses interaction, music and animation to stimulate a pleasant and relaxing atmosphere.
Click on an image for slide show mode and get more information about the project.
1. Strangers orchestra is a project I worked on with a project group in South-Korea.
We made an interactive installation that gives the busy people of Seoul some piece of mind,
break away from the daily routine and time to connect to others.
2. To determine what form the installation should be we all made a persona of an user.
My persona is of a busy young woman that is starting in the business industry
and feels the pressure of presenting herself in the best way to her co-workers.
3. We decided to create a space with a relaxing atmosphere consisting of 4 chairs.
When someone sits down in one of the chairs a projection will start with the animation of a dot wondering around
and one instrument of an orchestra arrangement will start playing.
4. Every time another person sits down another dot will start wondering around and an additional instrument will start playing.
This will continue until all chairs a filled. When the last person sits down the dots will gather
and start following each other dancing in a circle and all the orchestra instruments will be audible
5. When someone leaves a seat their dot will disappear from the projection and their instrument will fade out.
A chair is not connected to a specific sound or dot, but the number of occupied chairs is.
We choose to do it this way so only when everybody joins, sits and relaxes together the orchestra will show it’s most beautiful performance.
6. For this project I did all the Arduino programming and physical computing.
Seonghyeon Yong and I worked together on the processing code. The user experience and installation are designed by the whole team.
7. We made a video for our project while having a beautiful twilight view of Seoul city. You can watch the video at the bottom of this page.
8. Here we are working on fine tuning our code and testing the chair formation.
9. We tested our installation with the help of our fellow students
10. For me there is nothing that gives me more joy than working with an amazing team on new and interesting projects like this one.